May 7, 2010

My Kids LOVE Juice....

...and of course I am not a huge fan of all of the sugar added to juice. So, as I have been modifying our diets and trying to get rid of unnecessary added sugar I have come across these super good drink recipes that my kids (and myself) LOVE.

Lemonade (not sure what kid doesn't like lemonade)
1 cup honey
1 cup water
juice from 6 lemons
14 cups water

heat the honey and 1 cup of the water in a large pot until the honey is well combined with the water. Let cool and add the lemon juice. Add the rest of the water and keep in airtight bottles in the refrigerator. If concentrated lemon cordial is desired, only add 4 cups of water after boiling and then serve over ice, diluting the cordial to the desired strength.

Raspberry Cordial (my favorite!)
1 3/4 cup frozen raspberries
1 cup honey
juice from 2 lemons
4 cups boiling water

Heat the raspberries and honey in a medium saucepan slowly and cook covered for 15-20 minutes until fruit has released all its juices. Let cool, then line a large sieve with four layers of cheesecloth and strain the juice, squeezing  the cloth gently until all the juice has been extracted. Discard the pulp. Juice the lemons and strain them into the cordial. Add boiling water to the mixture. Bottle and refrigerate. To drink, place ice into a large glass, add 1/4 cup cordial and fill with cold water. Can use soda water if you prefer (my kids think it is pop with the soda water).

We like to make our own orange juice, and the boys love juicing the oranges...plus how easy is it to just cut up a bag of oranges in half, juice them, put them in a pitcher and you have orange juice....that and it keeps my boys entertained and behaving for a good 30 minutes :)

No comments: