April 26, 2011

~Spring~

I feel like we are missing out on spring this year! Besides a nice day here and there, it really has just been awful!!! I was finally able to get in my garden and get some of my cool weather seeds planted! I have more to plant and hope to get the rest in once it dries out from today's rain. Yesterday the boys and I (that includes Ted) planted sugar snap peas, spinach, lettuce, swiss chard, kohlrabi, and two types of radishes. The rest of the spring/cool weather vegetables that we are planting are sweet potatoes, onions, arugula, green beans, carrots, and beets.

Once it warms up (probably middle to late May) we will be planting a lot more. We will have different kinds of squash plants, pumpkins, tomatoes, cucumbers, purple beans, broccoli, jalapenos, banana peppers, bell peppers, and basil off the top of my head. We have some great perennials, too. Like our asparagus patches. You can NOT beat fresh asparagus, seriously a million times better than any store bought. We also get mint that comes back year after year, and dill which comes in handy for when we are canning pickles and dilly beans!!

Our asparagus is peaking through, can't wait for our first meal of the season!

No comments: