February 10, 2011

~Breakfast Burritos~

We love doing breakfast for supper; omelets, egg sandwiches, pancakes, waffles, and my favorite breakfast burritos. These burritos are so easy and so delicious, seriously better than any restaurant (except for this little place in Jackson Hole, WY that really does have the best breakfast burritos around). We make ours with soyrizo, which we find at our local Wal-mart in the vegetable section with all of the other soy products. The soyrizo adds a nice kick to the burritos without having to add any other toppings or ingredients and it is what makes my breakfast burritos the best (I can't take total credit here, because as I grew up eating it  and this is how my mom and dad made them for me). After the soyrizo, you can add whatever other fixings you want, but we usually just stick to scrambled eggs, crumbled up bacon, cheese, wrapped in a flour tortilla (and then grilled on a panini grill) and top with sour cream and salsa. I eat mine with just the soyrizo  and eggs. Which reminds me of another reason I love making these, everyone can customize there own burrito....like a breakfast burrito bar. Love it!
Here is my burrito from last night with a protein packed pancake

I guess if I would put a recipe together it would go something like this:
To make 4 medium/large or 6 small Breakfast Burritos

  • I package of soyrizo, browned (I do this in a nonstick skillet on medium to medium high heat and just keep breaking the "mush" up until it is no longer "mush" and forms into little pieces)
  • 3 eggs plus 3 egg whites, scrambled (can add milk if you want them fluffy)
  • 4-6 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled into small pieces
  • shredded cheese of your choice
  • any other sautéed vegetables you might want
  • salsa and/or sour cream to top with
  • 4 or 6 flour tortillas (I hate corn tortillas, but want to find some good gluten free ones for the next time we make these)
  1. Heat tortillas in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds, just so they are warm enough that they fold without tearing.
  2. Scoop your fillings onto the tortilla and roll up.
  3. If you have a panini grill, grill until browned (about 5 minutes). If you don't, place in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds to get it nice and hot (and melt the cheese if you used it).
  4. Mouth watering, time to eat!!

No comments: