October 29, 2010

Cupcakes. For Breakfast!

No, I haven't totally abandoned "healthy" in a way to give my boys a "treat" for breakfast this morning. Again, Weelicious gave me this great recipe for Breakfast Cupcakes. They look like cupcakes, but they taste like peanut butter pancakes (and you can use the batter for pancakes if you wanted to). Then with a cream cheese and jelly frosting, you get a very yummy (my boys are on seconds and thirds already!) peanut butter and jelly cupcake.

Breakfast Cupcakes

  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2  tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter (we always use natural, and the real natural stuff that doesn't add things like sugar, it is just ground up peanuts to form a paste, also use any nut or seed butter that you want)
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 Tb sugar
  • 1 1/4 cup milk (low fat or whole, I almost used almond milk but then used regular)


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Whisk the first 3 ingredients in a bowl.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk the peanut butter, egg and sugar until combined, then whisk in the milk until incorporated. (oops, I just put the all in a bowl and mixed)
  4. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until combined (don't over beat, or you will have tough cupcakes).
  5. Grease or line mini mufin tins and fill 2/3 of the way up this batter (I used a regular sized muffin tin and a 1/4 cup measuring spoon and it made 12 cupcakes, plus I had enough batter to make 6 mini cupcakes, if making all mini it should make 20-24)
  6. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  7. Cool.
  8. Spread the top with frosting (recipe below) and enjoy!

Jelly Frosting (makes about 2 cups)
  • 1/2 cup Whipped or regular cream cheese (I used regular and softened it in the microwave)
  • 1/4 cup Jelly, Jam or preserves (I used red raspberry spreadable fruit, smuckers simply fruit brand)

  1. Place both ingredients in a bowl and whisk until througly combined, and smooth like frosting.
  2. Spread on cupcakes.

*I doubled this recipe because this spread is so good on lots of things (like tortillas, dip for apples, a new way to make a pb&j, etc)

HUGE hit over at the our house. Try them, I dare your kids not to like them!


No comments: