October 29, 2010

Oh, Kody.

I don't know if you remember but the day I started writing this blog, I had blogged about our dog Kody. It was a happy day.  You can find that post here. He had went missing, and months later we found him and he was home again. While in college, Ted and I decided we were going to get a puppy. Kody was the puppy we got, a cute, spunky, playful, smart, daring, danger seeking, selective hearing jack russell terrier. There are so many funny, frustrating, happy, and sad stories that I could tell about Kody. Today it is a sad one.

Last night Ted had to run an errand and took the two littlest boys with him, I went up to bed to read and Kody came up with me. I got in bed, he jumped in bed. It was so quiet and peaceful, it reminded me of our days back in college when we would just snuggle up together in my bed or on the couch. I didn't know that would be the last time I would get to be with Kody, by midmorning Ted was on his way to our house to pick up our dogs. (Kody's best doggie friend since he was a tiny pup is Hershey. Hershey is my dog from when I was in high school. An overweight, sweet chocolate lab. Her favorite thing...Kody. When Kody had gone missing 2 springs back, I had never seen Hershey so sad. She would just lay on the ground and hardly would move all day...she got even more overweight. Then Kody returned, and that little sparkle was back in her eye) Kody and Hershey have quite the history of running, when separated they don't run off, put together they get crazy ideas and take off on crazy adventures.

Ted came home with both dogs, unfortunately Kody had taken his last adventure and was gone. Ted buried him under our pines, where Kody loved to lay in the sun and look out onto the field. Just the other morning, Ted and I were watching him lay out there and a deer was having a stand off with him. Just the other day the boys and I were chasing him all around the yard and playing frisbee with him (he could catch a frisbee in the air, and loved it). Just the other day I got mad at him for snuggling up in my clean pile of clothes, he did this ALL of the time. He especially loved when they were fresh out of the drier. I am so sad that there will be no more "just the other day......"

I am missing you so much already Kody.

Kody, you caused us many headaches and were always so mischievous. But beyond all of those headaches, I will always remember you as the great friend you were. There was always something about you, that you knew when I needed an extra snuggle. You could always tell if I was sad or down. Love you, Kody.

No comments: