November 1, 2010

Taco Seasoning

Making your own taco seasoning is super easy and I almost always have everything for it in my spice cupboard. Plus, look at the pack of the processed taco seasonings one time and you will probably find things like "high fructose..." and ingredients that just should not be in taco seasoning! They are not good for you and really my taco seasoning is so much more flavorful! Also, with making your own you can adjust it to your taste buds and if you have little ones and don't want it as spicy (this mixture has some kick to it) cut back on the red pepper flakes and black pepper. Don't want it as smokey, use less paprika....more smokey, use more. You get the picture.

Taco Seasoning
( I almost always triple this recipe when I make it so that I have lots of extra for future use)
2 Tb chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder (this is the one that I don't always have, but will sub. flakes of died onion or onion salt and then omit the salt)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (I have this so the kids don't blow fire, at least when I don't half it they act like they are going to)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp paprika
3 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp black pepper (again I half this for the kids sake)

Mix all the ingredients together and store in a baggie or small plastic container. I use about 2 Tb per pound of meat. I put it in ground meat for tacos, taco meatballs, on crock pot chicken, on popcorn, etc.

Anyone making tacos tonight? You know you are hungry for them now!

No comments: